Sunday, September 11, 2011

All the talk about cimetadine

I usually ask people who talk about having lots of lumps forming if they are taking cimetadine.  Many of them ask why we should take that. I found a quote on Dr. Karen Herbst's site under Lipedema. She says:

 One of the first things I like to suggest for lipedema is to help the immune system function properly. It is well known that lipo-lymphedema or lymphedema reduces local immune function, increasing the risk of cellulitis. The immune system is also overwhelmed by the amount of inflammation in lipo-lymphedema, therefore, I usually start cimetidine as an immune modulator. The dose is 400mg twice daily. This is not a user friendly drug because it affects liver metabolic enzymes and therefore levels of other medications. I would recommend you discuss taking this drug with your primary doctor.

I've taken it for over a year now. It does seem like I have had a minimal number of new lumps form in that time. This is one of those things that is hard to measure though. At least I think it is! My doctor and I discussed my taking it before I started. He reviewed my meds and started me at a lower dose. I didn't have any problems so I now take the recommended dose. You definitely want to talk to your doctor first because this is a med that interacts with many other meds. (Okay, I have to throw in a story.... When he reviewed my meds for interaction the only one on the list was xanax - for antianxiety. The possible effect from cimetadine was to make it stronger. I said "How could that be a bad thing???"  :-)  But that's just me...)

For those of you wondering "What the heck IS cimetadine????" That is the generic name for the drug best known as Tagamet. You can buy it over the counter in both name brand and generic form. You can also get it as a prescription and it will most likely be cheaper to buy that way. But if you want to try it, here is a link to our favorite store - Amazon! Buy it through the link and we get a percent of the sale which goes toward Dercum's education and research.

















Just don't forget - TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU START TAKING THIS!